Click on the small envelope next to a staff member's name to send a message to that staff member.
Learning Opportunities for English Language Learners
Cheyenne Mountain School District is committed to providing services for the individual talents, gifts, abilities and challenges of its English Language Learners. We are committed to providing a learning environment which maximizes the intellectual development of each student.
- We believe that English Language Learners:
- Have the potential for outstanding performance
- Have specific and significant needs
- Require appropriate programming options
- Benefit from a partnership shared by the school, the community, and the parents.
English Language Learners in Cheyenne Mountain School District are students who have a home language other than English and who would benefit academically from services that specifically address English Language development. These students may have spoken English since birth or they may be new to the English language. They qualify as language learners due to differences in their language learning, or due to differences in their home language environment.
English Language Learners in Cheyenne Mountain School District are students who have been identified with a Home Language Survey completed by the parents or guardians at registration. Cheyenne Mountain School District uses assessments designed for language learners and ones designed for Native English speakers. These students are assessed for language proficiency of both social and academic English in:
- Speaking and Listening
- Reading and Writing
Students qualify for English Language Acquisition services when these assessments demonstrate below grade level academic English proficiency for native speakers.
- Meet the needs of individual students
- Provide students with grade level curriculum, critical thinking and English language development
- Assist students to become self directed learners and capable problem solvers
- Provide opportunities for students to work in interest areas
- Provide services specifically designed for each learner
- Encourage students to become creative and fluent language producers
- Assist students to develop a solid awareness of their own talents, to build a strong self-concept, and to appreciate the value of these to self and to others
- Use and develop home language and home culture
- Increase awareness of diversity and American culture
The individual educational challenges of each English Language Learner in Cheyenne Mountain School District are considered in the variety of services offered. These services may be delivered through the regular classroom teacher, English Language Acquisition teachers, reading specialists, learning specialists, and other qualified staff and members of the community. Students’ needs may be accommodated in the regular classroom, in pullout at the elementary, or in scheduled classes at the Junior High and High School.
- Differentiated Instruction in English
- Curriculum compacting of language with academic content
- Language Development
- Academic Support
Learning Plans are developed for each identified ELL student. This plan is monitored by the ELA teacher in coordination with the regular classroom teacher, parents, and administrators.