About Our School
Enrollment: approximately 1400 students
American Indian or Alaskan Native: less than 1%
African American: 2%
Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander: less than 1%
Attendance rate: 96.5%
Graduation rate: 94.4%, drop out rate: 0.6%, 5% transfer rate
Consistently ranked as one of America’s best high schools by Newsweek and US News
Highly Qualified Staff - 100% of CMHS teachers are highly qualified
61 teachers with a Master’s Degree, 2 with a Doctoral Degree, 2 with Specialist Degree
- 39 extra-curricular clubs and 24 sports offered to CMHS students
- 7 state championship teams in 2010-2011
- 4 state championships in 2011-2012
- 2 state championship so far in 2012-13
- 77 state championships since 1958
- Home of 2010 Olympian and US National Champion Figure Skater Rachel Flatt
- Science Olympiad is the 2011 state champion, and was the Southern Region Champions and state runners-up in 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011.
- Science Olympiad was recognized at the 2007 national tournament with the National Spirit Award for demonstrating unsurpassed character, dedication and respect.
- In the last five years, CMHS students have collected 905,082 pounds of food for Care and Share Food Bank
- During the 2010 food drive for Care and Share, CMHS students collected 190,560 pounds of food
- Cheyenne Mountain High School is one of a few local High schools that participates in the state and national Scholastics Art Competition.
- Cheyenne Mountain High School students have won 39 Honorable Mention awards, 27 Silver Key awards, and 25 Gold Key awards and 1 Gold Key 3D Portfolio award in the Colorado state level Scholastics Art Competition during the last 5 years.
- In the last five years Cheyenne Mountain High School art students also won 1 American Vision Award, 2 Silver Key Portfolio Award, 2 National Silver Key Award and 1 National Gold Key Award.
- For over a quarter of a century Cheyenne Mountain High School has hosted an annual District #12 Art Exhibit featuring works from students of all ages representing every school in the district.
- Cheyenne Mountain architecture and engineering students have competed in the Professional Engineers of Colorado Bridge Building competition over the last 11 years. As a team, Cheyenne Mountain has placed 1st eight times, 2nd two times and 3rd once. Cheyenne Mountain students have taken 1st place eight times, 2nd place eight times,3rd place five times, and 4th place 3 times.
- Advanced Architecture classes enter a hand drafting contest sponsored by the National Association for Women in Construction, which is open to all high school students nationwide. In the last five years Cheyenne Mountain has taken all three top places, first, second and third. Several Cheyenne Mountain students have advanced through the regional level of competition to the national level.
- CMHS drama won First Place in the Pikes Peak Regional One-Act Festival in 2010. And has placed 1st, 2nd, or 3rd many times in the last 15 years.
- CMHS has an active Thespian Troupe and have had actors and technicians receive superior ratings at festivals as well as receive many scholarship offers.
- The CMHS band program often places more students in All State Band and local honor bands than any other in the state.
- The CMHS Symphonic Band has been invited to participate in the Bands of America National Concert Band Festival three times.
- Since 1997, the CMHS band and choir programs have presented honor concerts at the state music educator's convention 10 times.
- Jodi Papproth was named Colorado Theatre Educator of the Year in 2005 by ACT (Alliance for Colorado Theatre).
- In 2005 the Symphonic Band toured Japan and participated in the 2005 EXPO.
- Dynamix Show Choir won the state Show Choir Competition and Outstanding Choreography Award in 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011. They have been in the top 3 for 15 straight years.
- Symphonic Band is nationally recognized and twice has been invited to play at Carnegie Hall
- CMHS has one of the longest-running Improvisation Teams in the city of Colorado Springs.
- Many former CMHS Drama students are professional actors and technicians in Los Angeles, New York City, Chicago, Las Vegas and outside the U.S.
- Crimson a capella has won quarterfinals and west semi-finals in the ICHSA (International Championship of High School ACappella) competition for the past 7 years, and have qualified for the National Final of ICHSA all 7 years. Crimson is the only group in the USA to make it to the national final every year. In 2005 Crimson were National Champions and in 2007 were Runners-Up.